Health literacy is defined by the World Health Organization (WHO) as, “the cognitive and social skills which determine the motivation and ability of individuals to gain access to, understand, and use information in ways that promote and maintain good health” (n.d.). The American Medical Association (AMA) defines health literacy as, “a constellation of skills, including the ability to perform basic reading and numerical tasks required to function in the health care environment” (Baker, 2006). These definitions highlight the importance of health literacy for both healthcare workers and patients.
Whether it is the ability to fully analyze and interpret a researched study, or to speak to patients in a way that gains their trust and develops their understanding, health literacy directly relates to patient care.
However, understanding the importance of health literacy does not directly correlate to effective health literacy, so how does health literacy impact patient outcomes? What barriers or social determinants might impact health literacy?
For this Discussion, reflect on your understanding of health literacy, health information technology, and health economics. Consider the impact of each of these topics and explore how they are related to patient care. You will also recommend strategies to overcome potential barriers as they relate to the topics.
Baker, D. W. (2006). The meaning and measure of health literacy. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21(8), 878–883. doi:10.1111/j.1525-1497.2006.00540.x
World Health Organization. (n.d.). Health promotion. https://www.who.int/teams/health-promotion/enhanced-wellbeing/seventh-global-conference/health-literacy#:~:text=Health%20Literacy%20has%20been%20defined,promote%20and%20maintain%20good%20health
- Review the Learning Resources associated with the topics: Health Literacy, Health Information Technology (HIT) on Patient Outcomes, and Health Economics.
- Consider the role of each of these topics in influencing how healthcare is delivered and practiced in your healthcare organization or nursing practice.
- Reflect on how COVID-19 might have impacted each of these topics, including potential\ barriers or challenges for future implementation.
By Day 3 of Week 8
Post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
- Explain how Health Literacy, HIT on Patient Outcomes, and Health Economics may be integrated into and impact clinical practice for your healthcare organization or nursing practice. Be specific and provide examples.
- Describe your understanding of the concept of health literacy. Why is it important to understand implications for the lack of health literacy for nursing practice?
- Discuss and evaluate how COVID-19 may have impacted each of these topics for healthcare delivery and nursing practice. Be specific.
- Recommend at least two strategies you might implement for overcoming challenges/barriers related to these topics in your healthcare organization or nursing practice.