1010Question 1 1
- Teachers in foreign (or world) language departments have sought to attract more students by
making more use of language labs.
expanding their course offerings and integrating the study of language with the study of culture.
using the audio-lingual approach.
decreasing the course requirements for most language classes.
- Teaching is significantly affected by the teacher’s attitude toward
the practice of habits.
being a professional.
other teachers, parents, and the subject.
teacher education training.
- How has the content of textbooks been affected by the standards-based movement?
The content standards in a few large states determine the content in the books.
Fewer textbooks are being used in most states.
There has not been much change in the content of the textbooks.
Teachers have been creating their own curriculum rather than using textbooks.
- An essential part of understanding and dealing with the feelings of students is
watching students’ behavior out of class.
taking courses in adolescent psychology.
studying students’ records and talking to their previous teachers.
knowing and understanding one’s own feelings.
- Brian, frustrated by his math worksheet, tears the paper in half. Which of the teacher’s following responses would best characterize what psychologist Carl Rogers calls “empathic understanding”?
“Joanna, why don’t you sit with Brian and help him with his math worksheet? He needs your help.”
“Brian, tearing your math worksheet is not a constructive way to solve your problems.”
“You were working on those problems for some time without getting many done. Why don’t you show me where you got stuck?”
“Math was always my worst subject, too. Finally, I just realized I was better at other things.”
- What is the best description of cooperative learning?
Students working in small groups or teams to help one another learn academic material
Bringing together various segments of the curriculum in meaningful association
An emphasis on writing as a tool for student learning
Reversing the order of homework and lecture elements of the course. The video lecture is viewed at home while the homework and discussion is completed during the class period.
- A focus on problem solving is considered an innovative instructional approach. How is problem solving best described?
Providing students with a problem and giving them independence to solve it
Providing students with a problem and then observing and helping them become aware of conditions, procedures, and steps needed to solve it.
Providing students with a problem and multiple-choice answers in order to choose the best solution
All of the above
- A student listens to an editorial response on the TV news in which the speaker charges that a city politician is acting like Macbeth. The student immediately knows by the reference to Macbeth that the city politician is trying to usurp power, according to the speaker. The student is able to make that connection because
of her critical thinking skills.
of her powers of memorization.
she is culturally literate.
she has had courses in British history.
- During an Open House night, Tyrone Green met with parents of his Algebra I students. He briefly mentioned some of the fundamental concepts in Algebra I and spent most of his time explaining his techniques for teaching Algebra I to ninth-graders. What kind of knowledge did Tyrone use to explain how he teaches algebra?
Discipline content knowledge
Pedagogical content knowledge
Curriculum content knowledge
- Current trends in math instruction are likely to lead to graduates who are able to
add long columns of numbers accurately in their heads.
explain math theories and concepts with insight and ease.
use mathematical reasoning to solve real problems that confront them.
find exact answers speedily by referring to texts and tables.
- Which of the following are guiding the development of physical education curricula?
Focus on individual rather than team sports skills
Coordination, endurance, and strength goals
Information on nutrition
Development of aerobic capacity and appropriate levels of body fat
- Which of the following is an example of “self-fulfilling prophecy?”
If a teacher believes in herself, she will be effective.
Students will achieve to match the teacher’s expectation of them.
If the students believe in the teacher, he will be effective.
if students believe in themselves, then they will be effective
- Which personality trait or traits do many people believe are most critical in successful teaching?
Enthusiasm and sensitivity
Empathy and humor
All of the above
- According to Gary Borich, which of the following is a characteristic behavior of effective teachers?
They present challenging tasks so that students have to work exceptionally hard to experience success.
They spend a great deal of time going over procedural matters.
They present lessons in the same instructional format for consistency.
They present lessons clearly and logically.
- Which of the following teachers best exemplifies the behavior of a reflective teacher?
Keshia reviews her lessons each day after teaching and keeps a teaching journal.
Anselm talks frequently to veteran teachers to see how they teach particular topics.
Darnell uses commercially prepared instructional materials when he begins a unit.
Tina prepares detailed thematic units demonstrating the most recent research on different learning styles.
- A teacher’s attitude toward students plays an obvious role in influencing teacher behavior. Which other attitude also plays an important role?
A teacher’s attitude toward his or her teacher education program
A teacher’s attitude toward his or her colleagues
A teacher’s attitude toward professional associations
A teacher’s attitude toward his or her own parents
- According to the recent trends in foreign (or world) language instruction, which of the following would one expect to see in foreign language classes?
More programs starting early in elementary schools
More integration of international and multicultural education content
Use of the Internet to access current materials from other countries
All of these
- Which of the following has had the most influence over the content of the curriculum in the past decade?
Decreases in financial support
Technology revolution in education
- An example of differentiation provided at the elementary level is through the project approach which includes an in-depth investigation of a real-world topic. This approach uses a set of teaching strategies to guide the children through their investigation. Which of the following choices is not part of the project approach?
An opening event is used to capture the students’ attention which sparks interest.
Children participate in some type of field trip to investigate the topic and to try to answer the questions.
A culminating event takes place in which the children can demonstrate their knowledge of the subject through differentiated imaginative activities
Projects adhere to guidelines which all students complete in a similar fashion
- Which of the following is not included in Weinstein and Weber’s specific suggestions for designing classroom space ?
Almost always arrange desks/tables into rows and columns for orderly pathways through the room
Personalize the classroom by including displays that reflect students’ cultural backgrounds, interests, and accomplishments, as well as your own interests, goals, and values.
Organize shelves and storage areas so students know where materials and equipment belong
Arrange seating so students have a clear view of instructional presentations.
- According to Good and Brophy (2008), teachers tend to treat low and high achieving students differently. In what ways do teachers treat low achievers differently from high achievers?
Teachers wait less time for low achievers to answer a question.
Teachers reward low achievers for correct answers more often than high achievers.
High achievers are praised less frequently for success compared to low achievers.
Low achievers are criticized for failure less often when compared to high achievers.
- Which of the following are traits that effective teachers demonstrate in their dealings with peers, administrators, and parents?
Intellectual rigor and competitiveness
innovativeness in problem solving
Competence and control of students
Cooperation, collaboration, and acceptance of others
- The Common Core standards were developed because of the belief by many people that
What students should learn in English language arts and mathematics shouldn’t differ depending on the state they live in.
Some state standards have weaknesses in the difficulty level of the standards and in the tests used to evaluate them
Students should graduate and be prepared to succeed in entry level college courses and workplace training programs
All of the above
- The process of teacher who continually examines and evaluates her attitude, practices, effectiveness and accomplishments is called
Personal practical knowledge
Pedagogical content knowledge
- In general, educational writers comment that textbooks
provide sufficient depth of coverage.
are written in a lively, varied style.
typically pique students’ interest and stimulate student learning.
match none of the descriptions given here.