Plays are meant to be performed, rather than read. The purpose of dramatic arts often extends far beyond the words written on a page; staging, lighting, costumes intonation, expression, and audience experience are all part of the experience of a theatrical production. To help develop your understanding of The Tempest and the cultural role of the dramatic arts, you will view a production of the play this week and write a two-page reflection to explain your viewing experience.
Below, please find several classic interpretations and modern adaptations of The Tempest:
For this assignment, you will view one of the above and complete a reflection that addresses the following:
- Identify the performance that you have selected.
- Describe the staging, lighting, costumes, and characters of the performance. How do these match or revise the written version of the play?
- What type of mood and tone does the performance create? How?
- What parts of the play are easier to understand through performance? What are some details that stood out through performance?
- What does the performance suggest about the role of theater in contemporary culture?